Thursday 27 October 2011

In search of the Holy Grail: lip balm that works (well, sort of)

Following my greasy hair confession in my previous post it may come as a shock to you that I have quite dry skin particularly the lips.
I’ve read articles that say lip balms dry your lips out, and I can believe it, but sadly I discovered this too late and had already fallen prey to their promises. I’m now a lip balm-aholic and I’m not sure there’s a cure. I always have one about my person (if I don’t I get a bit panicky) and have one for every handbag lest I forget to pop one in when I change bags.
I try to avoid petroleum when I pick up a lip balm as I heard it dries your lips event more apparently* and it can’t be good for the environment, but as I usually buy them in moments of desperation it’s not always possible. Such was the case when I picked up a Palmer’s lip butter on Saturday.



The lip butter itself is clear and gives you a slight gloss, but it’s not sticky. I’ve been out in the wind this week and my hair hasn’t stuck to my lips - always a plus point. It comes in a squeezy tube with an applicator so you can use it on the go and has the famous coco butter formula and vitamin E, which is meant to be great for the skin.
It claims to have a dark chocolate and peppermint flavour but it’s not very strong. It tastes kind of medicinal but let’s just say if I bought some actual mints with this level of ‘flavour’ then I’d demand my money back! Anyway, it’s not a problem as I don’t want to keep eating it off my own face.
All in all it’s very soothing and seems to have kept the flakiness away despite the change in season and the dreaded air con whirring into action at work. My lips still feel a little tight nearly a week after I first bought it, but the skin’s not peeling away. Joy!
It does have petroleum in it so that would be the downside I reckon, and it’s pricier than I would normally opt for at about £2.50. Overall I think I’ll keep using it for the time being. Have you tried it? Which lip balms work for you?


*I don’t actually remember where I read this but it might be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment