Friday 11 November 2011

Ace of Base: Revlon ColorStay

Foundation may seem boring when compared with all the show stealers –  glitter eyeliners and shadows, colour pop lip sticks and bright nail paints –  but getting the right shade and type of foundation for your skin will give your look a certain polish.
I can accept that but show me where, as a ‘pale and interesting’ girl, I can get said correct shade. All too often make-up manufacturers seem to think if you’re a little pale you want to warm up your skin by adding orange tones to your base. We don’t. Sure, we love a bit of colour, but we’re not Jordan – orange foundation is never going to be a good look.
At the opposite end of the scale are the manufacturers who seem to think we have pink skin. Maybe after spending a little too long in the sun without protection but otherwise, no.

So when I read about Revlon ColourStay online I had to head down to Boots to give it a go. ColorStay has loads of different shades of foundation that is bound to suit most people. It even goes to the other end of the spectrum by having a range of shades for ladies with darker skin.
The great thing is that there are two formulas too – one for oily/combination skin and one for dry skin, so never again will you find the shade you want in a formula you don’t. It also has SPF 6, which isn’t great to be honest, but it’s better than nothing I suppose. Maybe if Revlon could work on getting it to at least SPF 15? Pretty please?
Anyhow, I really did like this foundation. It gave really good coverage for those hangover/ spotty/ general frightening face days and it really did last. Many foundations I use disappear along with my powder by lunch time, but this one was still there at night.  It didn’t go all patchy on my face either.
The one downside is that there is no pump on the bottle. You have to pour it out on to a foundation brush, sponge or your hand and as it’s quite a thick formula it can take some time.
I found the best way to apply was using my fingers as it does dry quickly. If I used a brush it sometimes left brushstrokes on my face. Use the sponge and again you could see the marks; I looked like a designer from 90s decorating show Changing Rooms had rag rolled my face.
It’s priced at around £13 (depending on offers) which isn’t too bad as you can make it last a few months. I’d definitely use it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment